Health Fact Sheets
These are our Easy Read Health Fact Sheets.
Click on the links below to see the fact sheets.
These are Fact Sheets for Families, Advocates, Disability Workers and Other Professions on Health and People with Intellectual Disability
Many people have contributed to the Healthier Lives fact sheets.
The fact sheets were researched and written by Jenny Galea, Helena O’Connell, Edwina Pickering and Jim Simpson.
The Department of Family and Community Services, Ageing Disability and Home Care, funded the project.
- Introduction - Healthier Lives
- Part 1 - Diagnosis and Assessment of a Disability
- Part 2 - Children – Signs of Illness
- Part 3 - Children – What Kinds of Health Services are There?
- Part 4 - Adults – Signs of Illness
- Part 5 - Adults – What Kinds of Health Services are There?
- Part 6 - Ageing and Health
- Part 7 - End of Life Care
- Part 8 - Healthy Lifestyles
- Part 9 - Annual Health Assessments
- Part 10 - Preventive Health
- Part 11 - Dental Care
- Part 12 - Challenging Behaviour and Health
- Part 13 - Mental Health
- Part 14 - Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Part 15 - Causes of Intellectual Disability and Health Care
- Part 16 - Sexuality
- Part 17 - Contraception
- Part 18 - Managing Menstruation
- Part 19 - Finding the Right Doctor
- Part 20 - Going to the Dentist
- Part 21 - Specialised Intellectual Disability Health Services
- Part 22 - Getting the Most out of Medicare
- Part 23 - Going to the Doctor - Tips and Tricks
- Part 24 - Helping the Doctor Understand the Person
- Part 25 - Personal Health Records
- Part 26 - Going to Hospital
- Part 27 - Health Issues for Families and Support Workers
- Part 28 - Consent to Medical Treatment
- Part 29 - Rights and Complaints
- Part 30 - More Information